ASD Primary Support
The Pre-school and Primary ASD support service is now based at Fosse Way School, giving the LEA a clear level of support for all pre-school, primary and secondary aged children.
- To provide a service that forms part of the LEA spectrum of provision for Pre-school and Primary aged pupils with ASD
- To provide support to pre-school settings and primary schools in B&NES to meet the needs of pupils with ASD within a mainstream, inclusive setting
- To respond positively to requests for training, assessment, and advice an focussed support
- To facilitate support groups for professionals in mainstream schools, parents and carers of pupils with ASD in mainstream schools, and pupils themselves
- To work with other agencies and voluntary groups for the benefit of pupils with ASD in mainstream secondary schools
- To provide a smooth transition for children from pre-school to school and from primary to secondary
- To maintain a database of pupils with ASD based on an annual audit
- The service is focused on
- supporting schools to implement the pointers identified for school level within the DfES/DoH Autistic Spectrum Disorders Good Practice Guidance (2002) and
- providing additional support to schools through focussed work or projects
- The service is based at and managed by Fosse Way School. There is a service level agreement with the LEA.
- Schools or the LEA will make requests for input to the ASD Outreach Service at Fosse Way School
- The requests may be for support in the development of a school as “an ASD-friendly school” (ref document above)
- Communication between Fosse Way and the mainstream school will be electronic and personal (telephone and/or face to face) with a minimum of paperwork. The initial request will be made electronically. Fosse Way School admin team will respond suggesting a time for an initial telephone consultation. The support programme will develop from this initial contact.